Monday, May 3, 2010

ONE FLESH

The subject comes up again and again: marriage, divorce and remarriage in the Christian church. Our hearts break for those who find themselves in a terrible situation. But are we to react as the world reacts or as Jesus would? Jesus had compassion towards the adulterous woman, but told her to "go and sin no more." We should have compassion, yes, but we are helping no one if we go along with the world and merely tell people what they want to hear. We need to speak the truth in love. We cannot sit by and watch others fall into this trap.

THE BIG FAT FACT:
God never intended for divorce to happen. And if it does happen, the only recourse left for a Christ follower is to either try reconciliation or remain celibate.

Dean Taylor's booklet on this subject, Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage, was recommended and approved by my Pastor recently. I believe it explains this reasoning far better than my previous post. You can download the entire booklet for free by clicking on: ntchurchsource.com

May God help you see His truth in this difficult subject.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how I cam across your blog, and I am not trying to start an argument. I simply want a better understanding of your view. I've heard it in the church a lot, but nobody ever seems to have an answer for those who divorced before coming to a saving knowledge of Christ. Should they remain celibate, too, even though their sin was before they even knew Him? Again, I'm not trying to start an argument. Is there scripture that speaks to that? I should have my settings where you can email me back. I really would like to have a clear understanding of this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete